Health is not valued till sickness comes – Anonymous
To reflect the importance of good health on social, economic and personal well-being, World Health Organization (WHO) had felt a need to have a definition of Health in its constitution.
- 1948, describes health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
- 1984, a WHO discussion document proposed moving away from viewing health as a state, toward a dynamic model that presented it as a process or a force.
- This was amplified in the 1986 Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion. The definition held that health is “The extent to which an individual or group is able to realize aspirations and satisfy needs, and to change or cope with the environment.
- In recent history, WHO had made effort to highlight the important aspects of mental health and disorders. Mental health is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.
Zest In Life team is proud to contribute in some way, towards betterment of “Good Health for All”, through publication of articles, blogs and promotion of relevant affiliate products & services.
The only medicine for suffering, crime, and all the other woes of mankind, is wisdom – Thomas Henry Huxley, 1825-95, English biologist
Health and cheerfulness mutually beget each other – Joseph Addison, 1672-1719, English essayist
When we talk of Zest in life, we should not ignore the important role played by the body, the third component of spirit, mind and body triangle.
A human being is composed of a Physical Body, an Ethereal Spirit, and a Mind that exists on the fine line between the Spiritual and Physical realms.
Common belief of everyday existence states that:-
“To grow old, become frail, and die is the ultimate destiny of all”.
Your body is aging beyond your control because it has been programmed to live out the rules of that collective conditioning.
We could not have Zest In Life, if we always harbour negative thoughts and ignore the need to maintain good mind and physical health.
In Deepak Chopra ground breaking book on Ageless Body Timeless Mind, he explains how we can engage with the limitless potential of mind/body wisdom as to realize our lives as fully as possible.
“People don’t grow old. When they stop growing, they become old” – Anonymous.
We are the only creatures on earth who can change our biology by what we think and feel. We possess the only nervous system that is aware of the phenomenon of aging.
Because the mind influences every cell in the body, human aging is fluid and changeable, it can speed up, slow down, stop for a time and even reverse itself. research research findings have verified that aging is much more dependent on the individual than was ever dreamed of in the past.
It is a timely reminder to all of us, that in order to have Ageless Body Timeless Mind, we can change our belief of rules of human existence and master simple yet effective ways to metabolize time, and so achieve our unbounded potential.
The ten new paradigm assumptions are:-
1. The physical world, including our bodies is a response of the observer. We create our bodies as we create the experience of our world.
2. In their essential state, our bodies are composed of energy and information, not solid matter. This energy and information is an outcropping of infinite fields of energy and information spanning the universe.
3.The mind and body are inseparably one.
4.The biochemistry of the body is a product of awareness. An aging cell is the end product of awareness that has forgotten how to remain new.
5. Perception appears to be automatic, but in fact it is a learned phenomenon. if you change your perception, you change the experience of your body and your world.
6. Impulses of intelligence create your body in new forms every second. What you are is the sum total of these impulses, and by changing their patterns, you will change.
7. Although each person seems separate and independent, all of us are connected to patterns of intelligence that govern the whole cosmos. Our bodies are part of a universal body, our minds as aspect of a universal mind.
8. Time does not exist as an absolute, but only eternity.What we call linear time is a reflection of how we perceive change. If we could perceive the changeless, time would cease to exist as we know it. We can learn to start metabolizing non-change, eternity, the absolute.
9.Each of us inhabits a reality lying beyond all change. Deep inside us, unknown to the five senses, is an inner-most core of being, a field of non-change that creates personality, ego, and body. This being is our essential state – it is who we really are.
10. We are not victims of aging, sickness, and death. These are part of the scenery, not the seer, who is immune to any form of change. This seer is the spirit, the expression of eternal being.
It is a book that everyone who is interested in being alive should have.
To purchase Deepak Chopra book. please click Ageless Body,
Timeless Mind hyperlink
Bye from now.
Please look out for my next blogpost on The Power Of Now in a week’s time.
Reuben H C Ong (a.k.a Reubeno)
If you are interested to read more of Deepak Chopra, a world class pioneer in mind/body medicine books, please click the following: